Friday, April 3, 2009

I Am a Mother!

What do you do?

It's a question for many women, especially Latter-day Saint women.
We recognize the sacred calling of motherhood yet sometimes feel overwhelmed.

I know I'm a mother how could I forget with 3 crazy little boys. But there are these moments where I feel truly like a mother that sometimes it feels more profound than others. Like tonight I found my 3 year old sitting in his bed surrounded by the stuffing of a most beloved animal. As I was sitting on the couch re-stuffing and stitching his beloved animal knowing as I worked I was coming to his rescue I had one of those moments where I truly felt like a Mother. Maybe those moments come when it is quite in the house and I am able to sit and ponder what its means to be a mother.

I think Sheri Dew said it best when she said, "Satan has declared war on motherhood. He knows that those who rock the cradle have the power to rock his earthly empire. And he knows that without righteous mothers loving and leading the next generation, the kingdom of God will fail."

What do I do?

I Am a Mother

4 comments:

The Fergy Bunch said...

It is painfully true that Satan has waged war on motherhood and that is why it is so important for us to be spiritually fed and prepared. I too love those mommy moments - it makes my heart full!

Grama said...

Beautifully said. It's in those special quiet moments that we feel that divine partnership with our Heavenly Father. Kissing a boo boo, fixing a toy, listening to their prayers, looking for bugs together, and many other special moments. One of my favorite scriptures in the D&C tells us to never be weary of doing small things because out of those small things come that which is great. :)

Tera said...

Very profound and beautiful. You made me proud to be a mother and recommit myself to find joy in motherhood! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I hadn't thought of it that way. When I'm asked that question I often feel like I'm searching for an answer and feel in those moments my life is full of day to day nothings (dishes, laundry, making meals, etc.). That though my days were full they didn't mean much. It's true though being a Mother and all it entails is a very worth while thing to be. Thanks Erin!